20 April 2007

Grandma Huber

Florida was fantastic. I didn't get much knitting done, but spent a lot of time with my family and best friend, Brooke. I also had a piece of cake, pie or key-limey goodness with every meal for 4 days.

IMG_3243

I didn't get much knitting done, but spent a lot of time with my family and best friend, Brooke. I also had a piece of cake, pie or key-limey goodness with every meal for 4 days.


I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. There's a reason that book is so popular right now. Go out and buy it...or borrow my copy.

IMG_3374

I didn't want to leave, but it's good to be back in Philly so that I can see Mike, enjoy this spring weather and finish the baby quilt. Oh that's right...and my sweater which is actually almost done!

blog-sweater


Remember this hat? It was done and looked great. I decreased so that it made a nice twirly star on top and fit exactly how I wanted it to.

But I wasn't in love with it.

However, my darling cousin, Cara loved it. I had wanted to make her something, but wanted her to pick out the yarn and project. She responded that she wanted a hat just like the one I was wearing...in the same yarn.

cara

Well, that hat snapped right off of my head and right onto her gorgeous one full of hair that will soon be donated to Locks of Love.

That was a quick project! I'm always glad to find a happier owner to something I feel tepid towards. It looks much cuter on her too, but that could be the fact that she's twenty and beautiful and has the longest lashes of anyone I've met.

While we're speaking of knitted items and my cousin, Cara. I must show off our grandma's best scrap yarn ripple afghan that my aunt gave to me, much to Cara's dismay.


IMG_2902

My paternal grandma was an amazing knitter and crocheter. She taught me to crochet as a child, but I couldn't pick up the knitting. I thought it a task impossible, akin to juggling. Ha.

Grandma Huber grew up during the Great Depression, and everything was saved of course and re-used. Over her life, she must have made so many projects, including gorgeous sweaters with intarsia, and she let us choose the colors. In fact, for the sweater that she let me pick out the yarn ended up being "pink and puh-ple". (Mind you, God-awful purple that I wanted. Look at the picture again and find the ugliest purple on the afghan...yes, that's it!)

For some reason, my Aunt Sissy decided that I should have this particular afghan while I was visiting them in St. Louis during college.

Thank you, Aunt Sissy. You don't know how much that meant to me...and it was a crappy year of heartbreak (wink).


It is so colorful and crazy and I loved it immediately. All the scraps of yarn are from projects that my Grandmother worked on over the years. Some of the ripples are felted now, the few that were wool. There's a hole in it where my cat caught her claw and I had to cut into the blanket, which almost made me cry, but of course I did it.

It is one of the most treasured items to me because it is one of the only things I have from my Grandma. Being a knitter myself makes it even more special.

And Cara is still jealous, five years later. But I don't feel to bad for her, since Aunt Sissy is making a new one for her.

2 comments:

sulu-design said...

Vacations are great for that "it's okay to have dessert with every meal" allowance. And your sweater is looking fabulous!

Nic said...

i don't understand the concept of an "ugly" purple!?!