19 May 2007

Adjani's Quilt

Adjani's quilt is all about the details.


IMG_3564

Like Ethiopia and The Red Sea outlined in cotton floss...

IMG_3547

As I mentioned before, this quilt is for my friend's new daughter. This little girl is so special, her mom flew all the way to Ethiopia to get her, and bring her home to Pennsylvania.

IMG_3515

My friend is the type of person who will get a kick out of a quilt that symbolizes the journey. It's kind of silly, tactile and charming, which is why I like it so much.

IMG_3543

I'm smitten with the colors and imperfections of the hand quilting. The small stitches are tight enough for little fingers not to get caught in them, but fun to touch. The embroidery is free-form and a bit sketchy. This is a child's blanket after all, and it is meant to get used and get dirty.

IMG_3557

Here is the end result. I think it went pretty well, and was very fun and surprisingly easy to make.

IMG_3545

Technical information:

The fabrics were all purchased from Purl Patchwork in New York. Both patterned fabrics are from Freespirit Fabric's Lighting Bug by Heather Ross. The brown fabric may be found here, yellow fabric here, and the solid blue cotton here.

14 comments:

Ashley said...

I've been so excited to see this finished! It's absolutely gorgeous, and just about the nicest gift ever. She'll treasure that quilt her whole life.

Mariss said...

Thanks, Ashley! That is very sweet of you.

Haley said...

I saw your quilt mentioned on Ashley's blog (dogged). It is wonderful. It's not only beautiful, but so incredibly meaningful and special. I'm sure your friend and her new little one (Adjani?) will love it. How cool!

Sherry W said...

That's amazing work! Your friend is going to be really touched when you give it to them.

EmilyG said...

Wow. That is just stunning, and such a WONDERFUL gift. Beautiful work.

sulu-design said...

This is a beautiful piece, and is one of the most touching, thoughtful gifts I've ever seen. I'm sure your friend will cherish it. I'd be in tears if I were her.

Jillian said...

This is so creative and special. What an excellent gift!

tiffany... said...

i just started reading your blog... and, i must say... the quilt is gorgeous! you're so talented!

Carrie said...

That is so amazing!! You are a really wonderful friend to make such a sweet and thoughtful gift!

Anonymous said...

'Wish I'd done that!

Dr. B. said...

I just found you through Dogged Knits and the things she is loving. I can sure see why.

This is the most thoughtful thing I've ever seen. What a brilliant and beautiful gift!

Carola said...

What an amazing piece of craft work and what an extraordinary and thoughtful gift for a baby! As a matter of fact, I am sure that she will still treasure it when she is all grown up. It is so beautiful, meaningful and obviously made with love. Great, great gift!

(ps. found you via Ashley's blog, glad that I followed the link!)

Anonymous said...

i really want to have a baby now just so you could make it a quilt! that quilt is so adorable!

Anne Marie said...

What a beautiful gift. Beautiful.