11 February 2008

Completed: Full Spectrum Legwarmers

I'm such a process gal. Please indulge me as I showcase the process behind my newest and most treasured wool item.

In December, I received 2 skeins of Noro during the holiday yarn swap at Rosie's! For a few minutes, I sat there thinking, what could I possibly make with 2 skeins of mismatched Noro? Seconds later the little voice told me to purchase 4 more of the constrasting and obnoxious skeins to create the most insane legwarmers ever!"

Noro Silk Garden Lite

Of course I had to sketch it out so that others could see my "vision". Ever the multi-tasker, I turned it into an Illustration Friday entry as well. (wink)

Illustration Friday: Backwards

I knit in Florida, ripped it out, ruined a pair of Addi Turbos, and restarted in Philly after some revising. There was the infamous Superbowl knitting vessel, the Bowl O' Yarn.

Bowl O' Yarn

And finally, my quest has ended. I present to you, the Full Spectrum Legwarmers. (That sounds way more classy than "The Legwarmers that the Rainbow Vomited Upon")

Folded Legwarmers

I didn't really use a pattern, I just used a little math and knit a 1 x 1 rib. I kept knitting until they were long enough to stretch up to my thighs if cold weather required.

Noro Legwarmers

It is so satisfying when the real thing is as good, or even better than what you had imagined. Believe me, this is not always the case (i.e. the embarassingly ugly watercolor of a mermaid I did for Trey one year. Don't think I'm being modest, it is butt ugly. God bless Trey though, that monstrosity was hung on her cubicle panel proudly).

Rainbow Legwarmers

A blurry shot of me being in love with my new legwarmes. Even my ankles are squeeing.

Crisscross

Here's what's left of my yarn. I'm sure I'll need some mitts soon.

Leftover Noro

Enjoy, my friends. I may even let you try them on if you're good!

13 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

OH! OH! OH! I absolutely,positively LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them. I'll bet it feels good to be done though.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Just the thing to combat this ugly winter gray crappy weather!

Anonymous said...

oh these are just fantastic! i have the same problem--2 skeins of noro silk garden that i'm stumped as to what to do with....what a wonderful idea. the color stripes are so joyful for our crummy weather here in philly

Vanessa said...

SOOOO cute!!! I love them. Great job! And you'll having matching mitts, also- too cool.

Lisa said...

Yesterday walking to and from work, I really wished I had jumped on this bandwagon much more quickly! They are scrumdillicious!

Anonymous said...

i want them. i'm gonna get them. seriously. stop laughing at me.

i'm gonna get probably silk garden lite and get all crazy. there are some awesome colors and it's got a bit more yardage in it than regular silk garden. and it's cold enough where we can wear them, too. oh yes.

Anonymous said...

Hot legs, Marrisa!

Nic said...

The legwarmers, and YOU, are fantabulous!!

You could make your own baby legs with the leftovers for one of the beautiful babies in your life!

I just got a $50 gift certificate to a local yarn store and I was thinking I want to buy some Noro... any suggestions for projects?!?

Anonymous said...

Oh-oh, another era of atlking may have to begin... I loooovvvvveeee these and your legs look great in them. Congrats!

Magda

Sherry W said...

They rock!!!!! You have the best dressed shins!

Anonymous said...

Dang, those are so cute. When I first read "legwarmers" and "full spectrum" I was wary, but they are super cute on your legs. I say, bring the legwarmer back!

Laura said...

I want those! Are you on etsy??

Mariss said...

Hi Laura - I don't sell knitted items, but they were easy to make, just time consuming! :)