25 February 2009

Stitched With Love

There are some problems you can't fix. Not yourself anyway. You have to sit back, understand that you cannot possibly understand how someone may feel, and only offer thoughts and prayers. It's humbling, not knowing how to help a loved one, but just trying your best to do the right thing. I think we've all been there, and will inevitably be there often over our lives.

In this case, when I felt like I couldn't do anything, I did know at least I could knit something. And stitch as much love and healing thoughts as possible. Just so that someone knows that they're loved by an extra person out there. Every bit helps.

Fiber Company Yarn

The nice things about hats, is that they're small enough that you can afford to splurge on the quality yarns. I wanted something that was extremely soft, squishy, warm and gorgeous. A color that would also bring out someone's pretty blue eyes. The Fiber Company's Road to China yarn certainly fit the bill. It's a blend of baby alpaca, cashmere, soya fiber, camel and yak. The colors are nearly irridescent, with a lovely depth to them. It doesn't hurt that the lovely gals who distribute the yarn are also local friends.

I made a Pi Topper Cap for another friend last year, and she loved it. She said it was extremely comfortable, and looked good on as well. The pattern is quick and easy, so I made one more.

Pi Topper Cap

I had to make a hang tag, which is probably my favorite part about homemade gifts.

Gift for a friend

The button tab (sewn on, no button hole needed) really accents this cap nicely. I love the final result. It's adorable, cozy, and super soft. I hope my friend will think of it as a big hug.


Pi Topper Hat

10 comments:

Nadia said...

Super cute hat and a really thoughtful gift!

Anonymous said...

i know your friend will cherish it. it is a beautiful hat! i know the helpless feeling you described. when we found out my aunt had cancer it was horrible knowing there was nothing we could do. but because i knit i was able to comport both of us by knitting her a simple stole. hope your friends treatments go well.

Anonymous said...

what a sweet sweet hat.
and it looks totally good on you. {maybe you should make one for yourself!}

You sure are a good friend.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I love the hat- followed the link to the pattern and it says Experience: Intermediate.
So I might just take a deeeeeep breath and go for it. My fibers group meets next weekend and they are beyond intermediate, so we shal see.
Question: I see you are using 4 needles, like you knit a sock, do you like that better than circular needles?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that not only will she think of it as a bear hug, but a big wet kiss too!

Bridget said...

It's beautiful. And it's just my opinion, but receiving a gift like that from a friend would make anything more bearable.

Anonymous said...

Cute hat, and I love the gift tag. Knitted hugs are great!

sulu-design said...

The hat is gorgeous, and extremely thoughtful. Best wishes to your friend.

Andrea said...

I hope your friend feels the love. The hat is beautiful!!

Laura said...

"not knowing how to help a loved one"
Hey, years of therapy and a support group got me to where knitting could have taken me in a week!
The hat looks great, I am sure you will friend will realize they are loved and supported!