14 May 2006

Vanillabean's Knitting Bag

In my quest for the perfect knitting bag, I have found that they are either too expensive, don't have enough pockets, or don't have areas to put personal non-knitting items. Then I end up having one bag with tons of little bags and pouches inside, which drives me crazy...

Since I am not in a position to buy the coveted
Lexie Barnes Lady B Knitting Bag at this time, I decided to make my own. I'm winging it, but am happy with how it's progressing.
I was inspired to start quilting last year and bought a sewing machine. My boyfriend and I made an awesome quilt, that I'll post at a later time. I wanted to create a quilted material that had a vintage look. I selected two prints in similar colorways and plan on embellishing the exterior of the bag later with embroidery.

IMG_0754.0

The requirements for my bag are to have plenty of pockets, nooks and crannies for needles, hooks, measuring tape, a notebook, mini cacha cacha, etc... I also wanted to have a place to put my wallet, cell phone, ipod and keys. However, I don't want to feel like a pack mule!

IMG_0781.0

Above i
s a diagonal pouch which can fit 14" long straight needles.

IMG_0778.1

Here are smaller pockets with pearl snaps to hold smaller, easily accessible items.

IMG_0758_3.4

I made an exterior pouch for my non-knitting essentials. There are pockets for my cell phone, ipod, pens and keys to fit.

IMG_0764_2.0

Shown here is a removable insert to place needles, a notebook, and a magazine or pattern on the other size. This way, if I need these supplies, they can fit, but the bag can be uncluttered if need be.

IMG_0797

And the finished product, unless I add some embroidery...hmmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh. great bag! I have been making do for far too long with a free tote bag from work and an embarassing collection of old shopping bags.

and welcome to blogging! it's almost as addictive as knitting.

Anonymous said...

You are miss crafty-pants! I kind of want a sewing machine too, but it's just not a prioriry right now (being a grad student and working full-time).