|Your Linguistic Profile:|
|55% General American English|
|5% Upper Midwestern|
This was a fun quiz I saw on my friend, Aimee's blog. I have lived in South Florida, Indiana and now Philly, and have a mom from the Philippines, and a dad from South Jersey. I am starting to pick up random words from different areas...words like orange (AH-runge), route (rowt) and phone (very nasal Jersey way). At work in Conshohocken, I spit out a highly accented Philly word, water (wud-er) and shocked myself. My boss said she had noticed me saying some words Philly style but didn't want to tell me! Oy vey. No offense to anyone. I love accents and think linguistics are pretty cool. My own boyfriend says "crawdaddy" and "ceee-ment"...
I only hope I don't turn out like Madonna and start speaking with an affected British accent.
Some of favorite accented words are:
- panqueque (pahn-kay-kay) Spanish for pancake!
- baklat (bahk-lat) Filipino: nice word for gay people, of whom the Filipinos are very accepting
- crawdaddy (craw-dadda) Southern Indiana for a crayfish
- bubbler (bubblah) Boston speak for a water fountain
- principessa (prin-see-pe-sah) Italian for princess. Say it, right now! It's super fun.
- Louisville (Luhvell or Lullvill said with marbles in mouth) The way Mike's best friend Sheila's family pronounces their hometown. It's awesome, and her mom makes fantastic chili
- Stop (eh-stop) The way my friend from Colombia used to say things with an "S" in front of it. He's so cute! I promise this is not racist, and hope nobody is offended!
What are your favorite words?