25 January 2010

Drawing Maps and Gettin' Hitched

Mike and I broke out the Gocco before the holidays, to work on Save the Date cards for our wedding guests. Since many people will be traveling, we wanted to get the word out as soon as possible. Making that list was damn hard. Especially when you have 70 people who count as family members...on the bride's side!

Mike

We're getting married this July, in Ft. Lauderdale. I know. Holy Rusty Hotness, Batman. But there are good reasons. Mike doesn't teach in the summer, we want to have it in my hometown, and many of our friends and family are in school or also teach. Air conditioning is aplenty, so nobody will melt.

We both love maps, and had been tinkering with the idea of making a map for our cards. Many of our friends will be flying or driving down, from as far as the Philippines, Sweden, France, New Jersey and Indiana! We're feeling very lucky.

The cards were a total collaboration and we had a good time doing this. He drew the front, I did the banner, the details, and an illustration in the back. Bickering was minor, but unavoidable.

I am mighty proud of that banner, people. Having us walk off a plank was vetoed though.

Front

I love that everything does not line up exactly. Obviously, some were better than others, but I enjoy seeing that overlap. And here is my cute little anchor below.

Anchor

The best part was that I was able to use all of my existing gocco and paper supplies for this project! I knew I'd been hoarding them for a reason. Mike learned to gocco, and we did not throw anything at each other.


Envelopes

It was a labor of love, but it's worth it, just to see that pile of cards stamped and addressed, ready to travel all over the world.

Envelopes

P.S. Please tell me I'm not the only person who gets immense satisfaction from a stack of letters ready for post? And did you like buying school supplies as a kid too?


P.P.S. We're having fun planning, but are definitely not going overboard. Ha ha ha! Pun totally intended!

14 comments:

andrea said...

these cards are SO fantastic!!!

Heather said...

Love the cards! I am with you on the fluttery buttery feeling when I mail off letters. And opening new packs of cardstock. And freshly sharpened pencils. And...

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

um, why do you think I do so much work in paper...school supplies!

these are too too fantastic! great work you two...a precursor to all joint ventures as a married couple.

Jessica Nichols said...

Love a pile of beautiful envelopes waiting to go out! Love school supplies, still! Get giddy goosebumps in the office supply stores. Beautiful work you two!

Nadia said...

They look great! I love the purple guy. :)

Anonymous said...

Love these!!

Anonymous said...

you two are a match for sure.
Fabulous.
You should frame this.
It's just too precious not to.
Love the gocco :)

Mad Girl said...

I was impressed -wouldn't expect anything less from two artists. Can't wait to melt in the hot Florida sun!

sulu-design said...

So. Stinking. Cute. The two of you. The maps. The anchor. And the 70 family members on your side. I love it all. You're going to have one rocking wedding, heat be damned.

Robin said...

LOVE the cards! They came from the heart and that's the best part.

Unknown said...

Really nice! Hope i can go to your wedding...lets see :)

→lisa said...

So cool, Mariss! Wow, they're just great! AND they're suitable for framing, whereas most Save the date/wedding invites are just so unimaginatively and predictably "pretty."

And I love a stack of envelopes waiting to go in the mail, especially if they're all the same, like invitation or Christmas cards.

Paulita said...

fucking amazing Marissa!

Andrea said...

The cards look awesome!!!